Benefits of the Wet Tech Process for Medical Manufacturers
Wet Technologies has produced several systems for medical device manufacturer Smith & Nephew in Memphis, TN. Their initial requirement was the production of a dust-free abrasive blasting system. However, once we began collaborating with Smith & Nephew engineers, we were able to demonstrate extended value throughout the manufacturing and production cycle, enabling them to even redesign products based on surface finishes our process made possible. Manufacturing and process innovations included…
- Design enhancements and customizations made to these systems accommodate highly specific surface finishes that maintains stringent tolerances.
- Ability to etch, rinse and dry surfaces in a non-chemical, water-based, closed-loop system in one integrated, multiple-step work cell right on the production floor.
- Specific profiling and course etching applied to hip stems and femoral implants, respectively, improves anchoring and enhances adherence of new bone growth.
- Multiple and diverse surface finishing processes conducted on the production floor improves workflow.
- Dust-free work cells can be placed adjacent to manufacturing stations.
- Minimizes embedded abrasive media, and related voids, which can damage sensitive components.
- Reduced friction, the result of the high percentage of water in the slurry, generates less heat.
- Precise and repeatable delivery of wet blasting slurry.
- Precise manufacturing control, low maintenance needs and the easy operational requirements speed ROI and reduce TCO.